The Ajaccio Municipal Library was created in 1801. This public library project is the idea of three men:
Napoleon Bonaparte Prime Consul, Lucien Bonaparte Minister of the Interior and André-François Miot administrator of the departments of Golo and Liamone.
André-François Miot leaves for Ajaccio with 12,627 works, originating from the Parisian revolutionary confiscations. The collection of books preceded the construction of the library.
Books are stored successively in different buildings in the city. In 1827, the collection, which since 1806 occupied one floor of the Benielli house, was transferred for the second time to the former Jesuit convent. These constant moves severely degrade the condition of the books, if not simply stolen.
In 1836, the books were stored in the basements of the Town Hall, whose construction had just been completed. They stayed there until the end of the construction of the Fesch Palace in 1865.